Thursday, March 7, 2013

HATE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO! ALRIGHT!

I'm not sure if there's a cosmic force or a divine entity that determines fate.  Let's say you're driving down the road and you don't normally stop at Starbucks but you have this inkling for a grande mocha latte.  Something inside of you is screaming "STOP AND GET SOME OVERPRICED COFFEE!"  And you do.  You park your car in the parking lot and go inside (because this particular Starbucks doesn't have a drive-thru).  As you walk up to the glass door, you twirl your keys around your finger.  Today hasn't been a particularly good day, but it hasn't been bad.  The hipster-indie contemporary rock fills your earholes and the barista greets you as you step inside.  And then there it is.  Your "John Dorian Moment."  It's just her. The room goes dark except for a spotlight on her coming from nowhere. She's moving in slow motion, like a highlight of Adrian Peterson running over William Gay.  Every one else disappears.   There's no wind but her hair is still flowing in the breeze.  She's only there for you.  This is fate.  It's destiny.  At least that's what it feels like.

Maybe that's a bit of an over-exaggeration of what happened to me this morning, but it's close.  I saw last night that a friend of mine on Facebook had gone to see Pink with special guest, The Hives in Columbus.  I love The Hives.  This made me feel nostalgic so this morning I made some coffee and listened to them on Spotify as I poked around Facebook and Twitter.  Then on my timeline I saw a "suggested post" informing me that The Hives will be playing at House of Blues in Cleveland on Sunday as I'm listening to The Hives.  Was it fate? Destiny?  No.  I used my Facebook credentials to create my Spotify account.  Facebook saw I was listening to The Hives and showed on my timeline they were playing in Cleveland.  Otherwise I would never had known about it.  This is an example of advertising on a social media platform done right.  It was an advertisement that I was actually interested in.  It wasn't based off of some algorithmic equation trying to sell me a Pittsburgh Steelers credit card because I update my Facebook status about how much I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers.  The algorithm obviously don't count sentiment into the equation.

Then again, I wouldn't even be listening to The Hives right now if my friend didn't go to that show in Columbus last night.  Maybe it's fate after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment